Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sell Yourself in the Job Interview

I read an article on the HotJobs/Monster site today on how to sell yourself in the job interivew - http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-selling_yourself_in_the_job_interview-1471. I believe all the points are accurate and very helpful, but I'd like to make two additional points.

1.) Show enthusiasm for the company/role and prepare questions for interviewers.

Not only do interviewees need to be positive, but they need to show strong interest in the role for which they are interviewing. If all things are equal between competing candidates, the hiring manager/company will gravitate towards the candidate who expresses the strongest interest in the role and company.

Examples of what can be said in an interview -

For the Position:
" This is exactly what I am looking to do next in my career" OR "I love doing this type of work and can really help your business/department in this area".

For the Company:
"I am truly interested in what this company does. I love the service/product and can get behind a company that has this service/product" OR "I use this product/service and would love to be a part of it".

2.) Prepare questions to ask during the interview.

You must ask questions during your interview to show you have done some research on the business or show you make decisions with relevant information. Some questions can be asked numerous times with each person who interviews you, others can be very specific to the person with whom you are meeting.

Expamples of questions that can be asked to anyone in the interview process:

-What characteristics do I need to have in order to be successful in this role/company?
-Where do you see the company/department in 6 months, 1 year, or 3 years from now?
-What do you like most about working for ____ Company?

If you want to know if Alchemy has an opportunity for you, please feel free to contact me.

Happy Hunting!


Bryon McDougall
bryon@alchemysearch.com